5 Reasons to Watch 'High School Musical: The Musical - The Series'
Updated: Nov 8, 2019
With Disney + set to launch in less than a month, one of their shows is already getting some serious buzz — High School Musical: The Musical - The Series.
With all of the hype surrounding the TV series reboot of the TV movie and the feature film franchise, it's time we look at why viewers should get excited about the show.
1. Disney +: The new streaming platform launches Nov. 12 and they will have a major dance and musical strategy in place. Besides High School Musical: The Musical - The Series, Kristen Bell is producing Encore!, which reunites former classmates to restate the musical they did in high school. Also, the entire Disney and Disney Channel library will be available to watch from Mary Poppins to Zombies.
2. Season 2: Before Season 1 has even been seen by viewers, Season 2 is a go! The cast found out earlier this fall and they are thrilled to be back at East High School. The cast will begin filming Season 2 in early 2020 in Utah.
3. Sofia Wylie: If you haven't started following Sofia Wylie, get on it now. The actress/dancer plays Gina Porter in the series, but her true love is dance. From her IGTV series, Dancing with Sofia Wylie, with co-host Ezra Sosa, to her Shook, a dance web series on Disney Channel’s YouTube, you can see the passion she has for the art form.
4. Familiar faces: The best part about High School Musical: The Musical - The Series is the familiar faces gracing the screen. Season 16 So You Think You Can Dance cast member, Stephanie Sosa, and Season 2 World of Dance contestant, Andrés Peñate, are both a part of the cast. Stephanie had quite a year going from the set of HSM to SYTYCD to the So You Think You Can Dance Tour straight, and eventually, to Season 2 HSM set. Wow!
5. Get in on the joke: When Dance Dish talked to High School Musical: The Musical - The Series choreographer Zach Woodlee recently, he teased, "It's very meta. It's in on the joke. I am most interested in people's reactions when they get the joke. It's clever."
Join High School Musical: The Musical - The Series on Nov. 12 for the first episode. Sorry, kids, you won't be able to binge-watch as episodes will be released weekly for this series. If you currently have ABC, Disney Channel or Freeform, there will be a sneak preview on Nov. 8.
This week's To The Pointe episode:
To join our private Facebook group, Dance Dish with KB, click here. (Make sure to answer the question for final approval.)
For weekly dance insight that goes beyond the surface, join our Patreon page for weekly dance news, twice-a-week podcasts and DWTS analysis: Patreon.
Need a gift idea for a dance lover? Check out my Amazon page for gift ideas.
This site is independently produced and created. Thank you for your support as we bring you the most up-to-date dance news and insight.