Here's What We Know So Far About 'Flirty Dancing'
Updated: Dec 22, 2019
This article was updated on Dec. 22 with new info.
There's a new dance show coming to FOX, but it's a fresh category that has never been seen before in the U.S. — a reality dance-dating competition series called Flirty Dancing. The show is being adapted from the hit U.K. series of the same name.
The premise of the show is curious since it's uncharted territory in the reality-TV realm.
The press release states, "The innovative new series is part performance, part blind date, and all about romantic chemistry. In the show, complete strangers are each taught half of a dance routine, then meet for the first time on a blind date at a breathtaking location, where they will then dance together without saying a word. In this romantic approach to dating, these singles will push themselves out of their comfort zones in the hope of being swept off their feet, rather than swept to the left or right on a phone."
Intrigued? We sure are. Here's what we know so far about Flirty Dancing.
1. Plot twist?: The featured singles will perform a unique choreographed routine with each of two possible love interests. In the end, the single contestant will choose the one with whom he/she has the strongest connection. This is a different format from the U.K., which only has one contestant and one date. The U.S. contestant has two dates.
Dance Dish also heard that the person who is picked has the final say as to whether they want to go out on a date with the person who picked them. If this element is used in the show, it could lead to some serious drama.
2. Choreographers: If you are worried about who will handle the choreography on a show with a unique format, look no further than two-time Emmy-winning So You Think You Can Dance choreographer, Travis Wall. If you were following his Instagram account carefully, you might have noticed he was in London back in March with Allison Holker.
They filmed the pilot for the U.S. version earlier this year. Wall will be back in Los Angeles this fall to film the upcoming series while Holker is just weeks away from giving birth to her third child.
UPDATE: Other choreographers who will be involved in the show include: Kathryn Burns, Val Chmerkovskiy, Tyce Diorio, Chloe Arnold, Jonathan Redavid, Dominique Kelley and Sharna Burgess.
NOTE: All choreographers were revealed here on Dance Dish in October, except for Dominique Kelley. His participation was announced by People in December.
3. Host: It looks like Jenna Dewan couldn't stay away from the dance world. Her schedule for Season 3 of World of Dance didn't work out with the filming of her Netflix series Soundtrack, but she's back hosting Flirty Dancing.
4. Executive in charge: If the name Rob Wade sounds familiar to you, then you must be a Dancing With the Stars fan. Wade was the executive producer of DWTS from Seasons 19-23. He's now the President, Alternative Entertainment and Specials at FOX Entertainment and he's the executive who gave Flirty Dancing the green light.
UPDATE: Premiere Date announced!
5. Series Premiere: FOX announced that the show will premiers on a special date and time on Sunday, Dec. 29 at 8 p.m. It will move to its regular time slot with Episode 2 on Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2020. It will be a one-hour show.
Update: Episode 1 features Travis Wall & Tyce Diorio choreography.
This will be a good midseason dance show since we won't see Season 4 of World of Dance until the late spring. DWTS will be on hiatus until Fall 2020 and SYTYCD is still waiting to hear about a pick-up order for Season 17.
Updates will be added to this article as the news on Flirty Dancing breaks.
This week's To The Pointe episode:
For more dance discussion, share your thoughts with me on Twitter or Instagram.
To join our private Facebook group, Dance Dish with KB, click here. (Make sure to answer the question for final approval.)
For weekly dance insight that goes beyond the surface, join our Patreon page for weekly dance news, twice-a-week podcasts and DWTS analysis: Patreon.
Need a gift idea for a dance lover? Check out my Amazon page for gift ideas.